Monday, March 28, 2011

In which Kate gives up on seeing robins and crocuses (croci? croqui?)

March is supposed to come in like a lion and out like a lamb. Here in southern New England (or annexed NYC, depending on how you look at it), we had one 70-degree day a couple weeks ago and have gone back into the forties and rainy. I suspect Spring got mugged in Central Park and is being held hostage somewhere.


So, no robins on the grass (at least when I get downstairs. On the 11th floor, I just get the Goodfeathers on my balcony. And the occasional hawk), no crocuses. I may have seen daffodills, but that could be a pipe dream.


This all leads to part 2 of What to do With Preserved Lemons. I'm really pleased with how this came out. Light, and fresh and a reminder that eventually, the winter dolldrums will be behind us. The following serves 2:


1.5 medium tomatoes (about a cup and half, tomatoes being just slightly smaller than a baseball) chopped
2 T olive oil
1/4 cup brine from preserved lemons
1 preserved lemon, pith removed, finely diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste


2 servings of your favorite pasta, cooked. I used spaghetti.


I recommend making this ahead. While the tomatoes will take on the lemony flavor pretty quickly, an hour or so in the brine makes this just sublime. 


Combine the first six ingredients in a bowl, stir well and let sit about an hour. Toss with pasta. 


Yes, really, that's it. It was fantastic and fresh and gave me some hope that the second signs of spring are on their way.


Next week--something fishy.


Questions? Comments? Death threats? Let's hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment