Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Half an onion feels lonely-Spicy Roasted Chick Peas take 1

I've been wanting to try this week's recipe for a few weeks now, but life kept getting in the way of serious cooking. Finally, this evening, I had a chance to do so.


I wasn't familiar with Clean Eating Magazine, and I came across a "clean" fish & chips recipe. It used whole-grain bread crumbs and baked thinly-sliced sweet potatoes. It didn't quite work for me and the test eater (hi, sweetie!), which is why you haven't seen it here on Knives, Fire and Fun.


I love chick peas. They're so yummy and so flexible. Raw on a salad, in channa masala or saag, I've pan-cooked them with onions and stirred in avocado afterwards (where did I put that link?). I've had them in a tagine as well. Then there's hummus. You get the idea.


Anyway, this recipe looked interesting, though it didn't strike me as a snack, so I thought I'd whip these up and put them on top of a salad. Here's our ingredient list:



  • 2 cups canned or cooked chickpeas, drained and well rinsed --the cans I had were 15.5 ounces. Close enough
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (Crap, I just realized I forgot this)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp maple sugar flakes (I skipped this, in case my sweetie decided he wanted some. He doesn't do sweet & spicy combos. I say he's missing out)
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
  • 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon, ground
  • 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
  • Pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
I also chopped up half a lonely onion and threw it in the mix.

  1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl; toss well.
  3. Spread chickpea mixture on foil-lined baking sheet.
  4. Put in oven, roasting for 20 to 25 minutes; toss mixture about halfway through.
  5. When chickpeas are dark brown in spots, remove from oven and let cool.
  6. Store in airtight container in refrigerator
These did not come out perfect. I think next time (which may be tomorrow, I do have another can of chick peas), I will stir them more often, maybe every 8 minutes instead of every ten. I believe the goal is a light crunch on the outside with a creamy center. Almost, but now quite. So, you'll see this one again.

Thanks for reading!

Questions? Comments? Death threats? Let's hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment