Thursday, June 16, 2011

Scarborough Fair Part Two--Sage and Onion Chicken

Today's entry came out of the "What the hell do I make for dinner?" school, with some help from, "You can't put that chicken back in the freezer so you better cook it in the next couple days."

For the previous few days, I had shucked rosemary and thyme to the point where I was going to soak my fingers in vanilla extract so I didn't smell like an herb garden. Garlic? I had one bulb left and I needed it for the clam sauce. So to the cupboard I went. My sweetie suggested oregano and lemon, but I had used up the oregano. Marjoram? Nothing sprang to mind. Then my eyes settled on the bottle of Dalmatian sage. We had a winner.

I'm afraid today's ingredients were not exactly measured, so please bear with me.

2 chicken breasts
2 T light olive oil
enough sliced onions to cover the bottom of a large frying pan
fine sea salt
freshly ground pepper
ground sage

After heating the olive oil in the pan for about a minute on medium, I added the onions and let them cook until they started to turn translucent around the edges. I placed the chicken breasts on top of the onions, sprinkled sea salt, ground some pepper and gently shook the sage over everything in the pan. I covered the pan for about three minutes, then stirred everything and flipped the chicken, added more salt, pepper and sage and made a point of trying to keep the chicken on top of the onions as much as possible. Lather, rinse, repeat until onions are caramelized and juices from the chicken run clear.

This came out better than I expected and was a treat for the nose as well as the taste buds. I served it with potato salad and steamed brocolini. 



No comments:

Post a Comment