Thursday, October 11, 2012

Rub the duckie

I've been tossing this idea around in my head for a while. Duck takes very well to fruit, but I live with a man who does not like cooked fruit, though some exceptions can be made for citrus.

I kept forgetting to buy the Chinese five-spice powder I wanted to use, but I did get some orange peel recently. While the traditional duck l'orange is too sweet for my sweetie, I thought maybe I could spice it up a bit. I put together the following:

3 T dried orange peel
2 T dried lemon peel
1.5 t salt
1 T ground ginger
1 T crushed red pepper
1 T garlic powder

Blend your spices together well--ground ginger, even of the best quality can sometimes clump up.

I'm still using the method I found from Emeril, bless his heart. With this pan-roasting method, it's easy enough to do on a weeknight. Not that there's anything wrong with saving a bird for a nice Sunday dinner.

I really liked this one. The ginger dominated, but the citrus added a touch of both light and bitterness that gave the whole combination a lot of depth. The sweetie had two helpings. I promised him I'd eat the rest for lunch tomorrow, because he doesn't want me to it in front of him, since tomorrow is leftover night.

I still intend to try a variation with five-spice powder, though maybe I will use sesame oil instead of olive. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment