Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Summer Pot Luck Dish: Quinoa Salad With No Kale Whatsoever

Apologies if I repeat myself, but I'm pretty fond of quinoa. When I first tried it, it was at a Trader Joe's and they were giving samples of it mixed with sun-dried tomatoes, feta, and basil and I loved the nutty tasty and pasta-like texture.

Today's recipe came out of my brain almost fully-formed. I've had characters come to me like then in writing the Bloody Murder Mysteries. Usually recipes take some more concentration to create.

You can make quinoa in a rice cooker, the ratio is the same. One part quinoa to two parts water. I don't have room in my kitchen for a rice cooker, so I make it on the stovetop.

  • 1 Cup quinoa. Measure it over the sink because the stuff can get everywhere if you're not careful.
  • 2 Cups water
  • 2 avocados, chopped. 
  • 1 cup red onion, chopped and rinsed (this keeps it from dominating the salad)
  • 4 green onions, green parts chopped
  • 1 14-ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed. I recommend low-sodium.
  • 1 11-ounce can of corn, drained and rinsed if it's in liquid. I recommend something vacuum-packed
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 Cup of Olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon dried cilantro 
  • 6-8 limes
The quinoa I buy usually cooks for 25 minutes, but follow your package directions. You should see a white outline around the edge to indicate it is done.. Make the quinoa first so it can cool while you finish the chopping.

To mix the dressing:

Thoroughly juice 5 of your limes into the olive oil Add the salt, pepper, and cilantro. Put in a sealed container. I used old glass iced tea bottles. Shake the living hell out of it. Set aside.

When the quinoa is cooled stir in your vegetables. I use a rubber scraper for this. Add your dressing and stir well. Squeeze more limes to taste, and serve with more lime wedges.

This went to a pot luck alongside some tacos and I got some compliments, which I was happy to hear. Even someone who normally doesn't eat quinoa tried some. I was nice and left some at home for Nexx who wasn't feeling well that day.

If you try this, please let me know if you make any variations. I'd love to here them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment