Sunday, January 23, 2011

Slightly hot stuff--variations on a theme

I can eat chili any time of the year, but it is especially nice when it's really cold out. Since my last batch wasn't very hot, I thought I'd modify my basic chili recipe. Here's what I came up with:  

2 Bottles Newcastle brown ale
2 pounds of stew beef in large chunks
2 cans black beans
3 cans chopped tomatoes with diced chiles
2 large onions finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 long hot pepper finely chopped
1 jalapeno finely chopped
1 cubanelle pepper, also finely chopped
2 heaping Tablespoons chili powder
2 heaping Tablespoons cumin
scant teaspoon of cayenne
scant teaspoon of vinegar (helps bring out the flavor in the black beans)
scant teaspoon of cinnamon

One of the advantages about working from a home office is I can take my lunch hour to work on dinner if I choose. Chopping and throwing everything in the Dutch oven took about half an hour.  I kept it on low for the better part of five hours, then turned up the heat just slightly and took the lid off, stirring often so it didn't stick to the bottom.

The end result was something to be proud of. It had a slow burn towards the end of the bite. I considered it mildly spicy, my sweetie considered it medium-low. We brought a serving to Austin the former landlord and he deemed it delicious. At least I think so, his mouth was full.

Questions? Comments? Death threats? Your personal variations? I'd love to hear from you!

Next week: a touch of the Irish!

No comments:

Post a Comment