Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Here's the rub (adapted for roasting)

One thing about living in an apartment is it tends to be frowned upon if you grill on your balcony, should you have one. I don't let that stop me, nor should you let it stop you.

Sometimes the broiler works in place of the grill, but in this week's recipe, I opted for roasting. I also served the fruit for dessert because someone else who lives in this apartment doesn't like fruit with his meat. 

Tablespoon.com is a new site to me. I found it when a friend of mine linked to it on Facebook and checked it out. It's a sharing site, and one thing I liked about it is you can upload your version of a recipe. I may do that with this one:





  • Spice Rub
  • 4  teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • 4  teaspoons ground cumin
  • 4  teaspoons garlic salt
  • 3  teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4  to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
  • Pork
  • 1  pork tenderloin (1 1/4 pounds)

Mix all Spice Rub ingredients. Place pork in heavy-duty resealable food-storage plastic bag. Sprinkle with Spice Rub. Turn bag several times to coat pork. Seal bag; refrigerate 15 minutes.

I made two adjustments in the ingredients. I put in 2 teaspoons of garlic salt and 2 teaspoons of garlic powder. I also increased the cayenne to a full teaspoon

If I'm handling a spice rub, I usually do just that, *rub* it on the meat. Pat the extra all over it. Get to know your meat a little bit, learn it, love it. No, not that way you silly pervert. You know who I'm talking to.

I used a roast, which is a little fatter than a tenderloin, so I wasn't sure how to time it. Fortunately, the recipe does come with some advice: cook until it reaches 160 on a meat thermometer. Mine is a dial-style like this $10 one here. There are others that are digital and cost three times as much. If you need to go digital, by all means do.

The roast I cooked was about a pound and a half after I trimmed the fat off it. The total time was a little over an hour. I took it out when the temperature reached 155 degrees, and then let it sit for 5-10 minutes before carving.

Tender and juicy pork goodness with a little bit of spice. For sides, some black beans with chiles and onion, and some blue corn chips.

Next week: a Memphis bbq rub!

Questions? Comments? Recipes to try? Let's hear from you! And as always, thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment