Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Wet Rub (sounds kinky, doesn't it?)

This week's recipe is a real find. Besides being hearty and flavorful, the vegetables give you a mix of colors and textures that make it a joy to partake. I pan-zapped the steak, because of apartment grilling regulations, and I have to say this is a delicious summer dish.

I found this one on the Eating Well website. I'm not sure if I got there by search terms or if I was clicking links and found myself here. I love the combination of lime and chile together (this also works well with tuna. When I perfect that, I'll post it here), and even more so I love the mellowness of sherry vinegar. Further, here was a potato salad that wasn't loaded with mayonaise. I sincerely prefer my potato salads with a vinegarette-style dressing instead of mayo. While a creamy salad can often offset a spicy main dish, the lime, chile powder and garlic on the steak's rub are not going to make you turn red, sweat, or have steam blow out your ears while you're scrambling for some bread or a glass of milk.

When I looked at the ingredients, my first thought was, "This is not enough." So I doubled all the supporting players.


        1 teaspoon lime juice
        1 teaspoon chili powder
I prefer "Mexican hot" style
        1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
        1 clove garlic, mashed into a paste
        8 ounces sirloin steak, trimmed
        3/4 pound small purple potatoes, (see Tip), scrubbed
I was not blessed with finding purple potatoes at Whole Paycheck, so we went with some baby reds; unpeeled.
        2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
        1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
        1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
        1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
        4 large radishes, sliced
        3 scallions, thinly sliced
        1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro


    1.    Mix lime juice, chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and garlic in a small bowl to form a paste; rub onto both sides of steak. Refrigerate the steak.

I think the next time I make this, I'm going to make the rub and prepare this step a day ahead of time. While it's important to marinade in the fridge (there are exceptions), it's also easier to get an evenly-cooked piece of meat if you let it sit (covered, of course) and come to room temperature before you cook it.

2.    Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. Drain, let cool for 10 minutes, then quarter.

3.    While the potatoes cool, preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Oil the grill rack (see Tip) or pan. Grill the steak, turning once, until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 140°F, about 10 minutes total on the grill or 16 to 20 minutes in a grill pan. Let rest for 5 minutes, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.

4.    Whisk vinegar, oil, cumin, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the steak and any accumulated juices, the potatoes, radishes, scallions and cilantro; gently toss to coat.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. I got raves from my primary audience, and while I had issues with the amounts, I wouldn't change the ingredients at all.

Questions? Comments? A recipe to deconstruct? Let's hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment