Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Memphis Barbecued Chicken or Kate's favorite spice rub

Back in the day, I used work part time in bookstore, a job/hobby I've had off and on for several years. Besides the generous discounts, there was the opportunity to read books as they hit the streets, or before somebody snatched the last copy off the bargain table.


You never know what you're going to find on the bargain table. By sheer good timing, I came across this small book called The American Grill. I can't find it on Amazon, but if you want to go hunting, the ISBN is 0-8118-0699-5


I've made this recipe several times, in four different states, and everywhere it's received rave reviews. My sweetie's reaction was to tell me it was horrible and he had to eat the whole platter to protect me. My knight in shining armor.


One 3.5 pound chicken, cut into quarters (this can also be made with boneless skinless breasts or tenders)
Olive oil for coating
1 Cup Hickory spice chips (I've never used these, but if you try it, let me know!)


1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon allspice
4 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika.


Coat chicken evenly with olive oil. I use a basting brush. My favorite is a silicone one. Bristles tend to soak up the oil, and might tear chicken skin.


Mix spices in a bowl and blend thoroughly. Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken and let it sit at room temperature until your coals are ready (if you're using a gas grill, let it sit about 20-30 minutes).


Sear chicken on each side for 5 minutes over high heat, then cook the chicken on medium heat for ten minutes a side for a total of 30 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil and let sit ten minutes before serving.


I actually don't have any bones to pick with this recipe. It's flavorful, it's not overly spicy so can be served to those with delicate palates. For accompaniments, I suggest corn on the cob and a light potato salad.


I may try it with smoked paprika, just for variation. Watch this space!


Questions? Comments? Recipes to deconstruct? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. The ISBN-13 for that would be 978-0-8118-0699-2, but in either case it appears to be O/P--not surprising, really, given it was published in '94. There do seem to be copies available on ABE and Alibris.

    ReplyDelete